Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Costa Rican Culture Becomes Normal

For a while now, I have felt at home here but I am beginning to realize how accustomed I am now to their culture and ways of life. I am no longer surprised when I hear people randomly whistle or howl when someone gets up during class, when there are dogs constantly at your feet, when there are thunderstorms that could take away your ability to hear, or when someone pulls a snake out of their backpack on the city bus or at school.

I don't feel like there is much to tell here, as things become normal for me. My adventures most likely are not normal for my readers..but they are normal for me. Such as when we were getting jogotes(delicious fruit) from a tree in the mountains, and were caught in the middle of the biggest storm I had ever seen. I was scared out of my mind while my host family continued getting jogotes from the tree. Of course when we finally made it back to the house safely, the storm was pretty much over. I have made peace with that and the daily thunderstorms no longer frighten me or surprise me the smallest bit.

Second Orientation
Last weekend we had our second orientation to check in on everyone's progress and get the different visas settled. Although many parts of it were broing and repetative, I had a lot of fun. I made friends with more kids from around the world and thoroughly enjoyed comparing my schooling system in the US, to theirs in their country, to here in Costa Rica. The kids from Germany agree that it isn't normal to bring snakes to school for them, either. Although that is besides the point! Mostly from talking to them, I realize how little I know and how much I want to know. I have the desire to learn about each and every culture that I got a taste of this weekend.

Upcoming Weekend
I am extremely excited for this weekend, because I am finally getting the chance to go to the beach with my host family! Apparently they have monkeys there, and sloths, and other animals that I don't know of! I am sure you will be hearing about how that went in my next blog post! Also, on Friday I am not going to school so that I can go to San Jose with my sister to buy a traditional dress of Costa Rica. I need it for something that Naranjo is doing on the 15th od Sebtember..but I am still not completely positive what exactly.

Anyways, I really need to be seeing more improvement in my Spanish skills, so I should go converse with my family! I hope everything is well with my readers and to everyone in South Burlington High School, I hope your first day went well!

Tieta

2 comments:

  1. September 15th is Costa Rican Independence Day! That's why you need the typical dress haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tieta.

    The storms sound frightening, but fascinating at the same time. Do they have flooding there? I was curious if you were going to the Caribbean or the Pacific when you go to the beach? Sounds like fun! Stay clear of the monkeys in case they throw their poop like in the zoos ;) Have a great time ... it sounds like you are settling in well, and the Spanish is coming along. That's great. We all miss you here in SB, and all our friends ask how you're doing. I tell them to read the blog ...

    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete