Sunday, September 2, 2012

Playa, Playa, Playa

Yesterday I went to my first tropical beach! It was absolutely gorgeous and the waves were amazing. I would say I have mastered how to not get tossed around by a massive wave! I went with my host dad, and my three host sisters. My host mom doesn't like the beach because she doesn't know how to swim..so I think it is pretty understandable that she gets scared by the waves and isn't very fond of the beach. Also, we unfortunately did not make it to the beach that has monkeys and sloths because of something having to do with the amount of rain, and the beach having a lot of trash. My host dad did explain though that when the weather changes, we will make it to that beach as well!
At the beach, even though it is not tourist season, there were plenty of surfers! Most of them were speaking english, but it was very obvious that they were not from the United States, due to the variety of different accents.

On to a different subject, I am having a fair amount of trouble with my Spanish skills. Languages are most definitely not a strength of mine. I try to talk more and more, but I feel bad when my host family and I or my friends and I lack communication. I know that everyone is trying their hardest to help me, but so far I am pretty unsuccesful as far as picking up the language. I think one of the biggest problems is how I came here for the experience, for the travel, and to become a part of a new culture. As far as those goals, I would say I that has gone extremely well! Although, learning spanish was more of an after-thought for me. I don't see it as a big priority, especially when talking to the other exchange students. 99% of the exchange students are either fluent or almost fluent in english! I enjoy expressing myself through english and learning about complicated ideas and concepts through english rather than being at the same speaking level as a 2 year old.
I also think that my need for change is hurting me a little bit. For most people, change is seen as a bad thing and people fear change. As for me, if I get into a routine and if I am in one place for a long amount of time, I get extremely bored and start thinking of new places I want to see and experience. I am not saying I think I have seen everything there is to see in Costa Rica, because that is 100% not true! Me wanting to see more, is the problem. I have a desire to learn more about the culture and see more of the country.. but it is extremely difficult with the language barrier. Well, that is enough for my ranting. I have 19 weeks left and about 13 weeks left of school, wish me luck!

Tieta

1 comment:

  1. Oh My Sweeta Tieta, we all have these days!! Just keep trying, you will succeed in any and everything you put all of your heart into! You can DO ANYTHIING!! Try to conquer something new, maybe that will help with your need for change?? Maybe take up surfing??
    You are growing so much, I am SO proud of you! Tomorrow will be a better day! <3!! YOU GOT THIS!!
    So u have 13 weeks of school... so that means u have 6 weeks of vacation in Paradise :) Lucky Girl!! LOVE U!! ;o)

    ReplyDelete