Wednesday, August 8, 2012

3 weeks

It has now been three weeks since I left South Burlington! It seems like a long time, yet not because I still have a little over 5 months here in Costa Rica! Things are looking up with people at school, I am now sure I have made at least a couple new friends! Everyone is extremely willing to help me understand questions and make an effort to keep me included. They always encourage me to talk more, because they know that's the best way to learn. That is definitely my biggest problem, though. I have never been someone to talk much at school, but now it is necessary I do so if I want to become fluent in spanish and if I want things to get easier with the language barrier.

My host dad was telling me the other day how last year they went on a trip to an island by kayaking there and staying overnight. I'm not sure if it is a yearly thing that they do or if it was one time, but I am really hoping they do it again while I am here!

I don't believe I have mentioned the showers here, and they were definitely a shock. It is more of a spicket in the bathroom with water that literally takes your breath away. Luckily, I am starting to get used to that and I know I will be grateful for it when it gets hot out! I'm hoping that will be soon because I am not enjoying needing my sweatshirt and jeans all the time. On the other hand, our school uniforms are pants and a hot shirt, so maybe the weather should stay a little cold for longer so that I don't over heat during school!

Well, that's it for now! I can't think of much to write about, so if anyone is dying to know something, let me know and I can post the answer so everyone can see!

Tieta

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tieta.

    Your revelation that you will need to speak up more in order to learn the language is right on. Colleges and Universities these days preach a "Learn By Doing" approach to education. Just sitting and listening to someone talk about subjects is not nearly as effective of an educational model as having the students literally learn by physically immersing themselves in the program. And language fits into that model. Once you overcome the language barrier, learning and relationships will get even better. At first you may feel self conscious about stumbling over words and ideas, but if you do that, it will come easier as time passes.

    The kayak thing sounds awesome. Is it in the ocean, or an island on a lake? Be sure you're not in the malaria zone as you didn't get that vaccination.

    WHAT!!! COLD SHOWERS??? I'm out!!! But I'm sure I'd get used to it also. Did you have a chance to give your host family the Dry Rub I made for them? Let me know what they think ...

    Thanks for keeping up with the blog posting. There are lots of people reading.

    Love, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tieta:

    I just wanted you to know a couple of things. I'm reading and enjoying your blogs. You are a very lucky young lady, and you will look back on this experience all your life. And the other thing: Don't worry about your Dad - I'm keeping my eye on him while you're gone. I look forward to your future posts.

    Brian Courcy

    ReplyDelete