Thursday, August 2, 2012

Events In the Past Week

In the past week I have been going to school, and seeing little pieces of Naranjo. On Saturday we went to a town called Zarcero where they had sculptures made out of trees, and once again beautiful views on the way there. After, I met more family and friends when we went to San Juan for a little cousins' birthday party. On Sunday me and one of my host sisters attended a gathering for people in Naranjo and we hiked in the rain forest and planted trees. That was probably my favorite thing I have done so far, because I was finally able to see a different side of Costa Rica and talk with a lot of nice people! It rained a lot, everyone was drenched even with umbrellas, and I loved every second of it. I have been getting very antsy to do more things like that because I have had a lot of free time on my hands that I spend either on the computer or sitting outside the house.

As for school, it has been hard. People make an effort to talk to me, and I feel bad when we can not communicate as much as I would like. A couple of the guys have resorted to using the little they know of english to talk to me because I can´t understand them when they speak in spanish and I can never find the right words to successfully talk to them back in spanish. As much as people try to include me, I don´t feel like I fit in at all. Hopefully that will change soon because everyone in my class is really nice and I would love to get to know them more!

I promise I will post pictures at some point, when I have the ability to ask them how to do it on their computer!

Tieta

2 comments:

  1. So cool you got hike in the rain forest and plant trees? If it's a rain forest, why does it need to have trees planted? Was it cleared for the timber? I saw the photos on Facebook of the tree sculptures. Very cool! Maybe they took those trees from the rain forest to use for the sculptures, which is why you had to plant more trees in the forest.

    I'm really glad people at school are nice. Your Spanish will come along, just keep at it. Is there any possibility of getting additional help, like a tutor or something? Hang in there. It's only been two weeks.

    Keep on posting to your blog. I love reading about your experiences, and so do many others.

    Love, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are already having an amazing time! Glad to hear you are doing some awesome things, like planting trees in the rain forest!

    Don't worry in a week we can talk about the struggles with the language barrier and be there for each other..on different continents! Haha. Like your dad said, hang in there! You will be just fine!

    Keep posting. I love knowing what you are up to! Love you!
    Emma

    ReplyDelete