Wednesday, October 9, 2013

One Last Write-up

Hello to those reading my blog,

It's been an incredibly long time since I updated, although I have simply been waiting for the right time to express what I feel were the biggest lessons I learned while abroad.

First of all, I would like to update everyone on my life in Tennessee quickly. I have been busy with college applications (let alone searches), keeping up with schoolwork, looking for a job, playing a big part in the farm program at our school, and playing basketball in the winter. For those of you who haven't heard, I along with two other girls have taken over a part of the school farm (mostly working on sustainability through gardening). This summer we had the entire farm to look after since the previous owners moved away. We now have two people, one of them at The University of The South (the college in my town) who have taken over everything but six beds left for us. I have had a large part in what is going on with our six beds due to the fact that the two other girls have soccer everyday and not a lot of time outside of that to come to the farm. So, it has become even more of a learning experience than what I had thought! Other than the farm, I have been busy with other things as I said and thankfully I have been able to settle in more this year now that I am able to come into the school year knowing the majority of the people. Anyways, I thought I would catch those of you up who know me personally.

Changing subjects, I recently realized that my blog is on the AFS website along with a few others who had gone to Costa Rica! I thought I could be of help to anyone looking at my blog through AFS and talk about what I have experienced after my return home.

Life has been going on as it should in both Tennessee and in Costa Rica. I was lucky enough to make a strong enough connection with my host family that allows me to still be in contact with them after eight months! They are all doing well aside from the fact that a couple weeks ago my host great grandfather passed away. As hard as it was to completely register seeing as I wasn't there while it happened, I felt awful about the loss and how I couldn't be there to support my family. They were hurting and no amount of spanish vocabulary could make them feel better, especially through a computer. I remember playing cards with Abuelo and how he would call me out on cheating if I was winning against him and my host dad. I always found his competitiveness comical due to the fact that he had such a kind heart and a smile always lit up across his face.

So, my thoughts on life post-Costa Rica.
I believe that life has become all about perception. That is the only explanation I could find as to why Costa Ricans were so much happier and filled with life than people in the United States. I will say now, I apologize for the blanket statement I'm making here. Anyways, they focus on the positive and when they slip up, they laugh. Their perception of life is drastically different than those from the United States, although I suppose neither could be seen as better or worse if it were left up to public opinion. Successful people in the United States thrive off of stress. In Costa Rica, stress is a word not easily comprehended. Each time I used that word or heard it being used, it was said as a reason to not do something. If it physically pained someone and caused their minds to become blurry with stress, it wasn't worth it, whatever it was. Simplicity and perception are key. There is not much more to say about the subject, that's what I have realized after living and being consumed into a different culture. Studying abroad has been the best decision of my life, without a doubt. I wouldn't take back a second of it. In fact, I would do just about anything to re-live every single up and down of my exchange. I'd like to offer up my e-mail once again for those who would like to ask me specific questions about my exchange or the process of going abroad. You can reach me at both pinkpanda34@gmail.com and tkeetle@sasweb.org. I check both regularly!

I hope everyone is enjoying themselves.

For the last time on this blog,
Pura vida, tranquila, todo pasa & disfrute la vida

Tieta Keetle

No comments:

Post a Comment