Friday, February 1, 2013

Upadate On My Life..Looking Back

I've heard multiple times that I should keep going with this blog. I'm not sure how many people will see this post since I haven't updated in so long, and it's very clear that my time in Costa Rica has finished..for now. People seem to be interested as to how I am adjusting to my time in Tennessee, and being in the United States again in general. I'm happy to say I talk to my host family just about everyday which is good because I would hate to lose contact with them.


I arrived in Tennessee almost two and a half weeks ago. When I arrived in Miami I said goodbye to Kelsey who was on the plane with me..as well as Hans, my host family, and a couple neighbors who woke up at 5 in the morning to say goodbye just a few hours before. It's hard to say whether that was the saddest day of my life..or the day before when they had a surprise going away party for me. I don't think I will ever forget the feeling of wanting time to literally stop. I wanted to be able to sit there, on our porch, and watch my host family and neighbors talk, laugh, and dance without time slipping away from me. It scares me how quickly my time in Costa Rica flew by. It was a chapter in my life that I would do anything to re-live, and it's gone. When I first arrived in the United States, I was happy and optimistic, but soon enough I didn't even want to think of my time in Costa Rica because I thought that I would have to put it behind me in order to adjust to the differences I would be experiencing here in Tennessee. I arrived after two days of traveling to Tennessee and without even seeing my new house, was put straight into touring my new school which I would be starting the next day. I soon felt reality setting in, and to say the least, it was a rough adjustment..and still is. I've dropped the idea of forgetting about Costa Rica. I realized that would be awful of me to do and I am now again able to think about it and keep it a part of me. I promise to never lose what I gained in my experiences there. I will never forget what everyone has done to help me get there, and what people dd to help me while I was there and even when I returned to the United States.

My life in general right now.

I have been going to my new school in Tennessee for about two and a half weeks now. It has been an experience to say the least. I'm starting to learn more about how a social scene in boarding schools work. Most definitely something I've never experienced before! I live in a pretty small house right across from the University and about 5 minutes from my school and I have finally learned where all my classes are and remembered a few names of people I talk to on a regular basis. I took the SAT's last weekend, which was not the highlight of my life! We sat there for 5 hours straight. Although, that was the same weekend my best friend's mom came to visit us which was amazing. I got to see someone from home and it couldn't have been better timing!

Different Ideas? Attitude? Views?

Many people say that people's views change immensely after traveling to another country. I honestly think that I have changed, although I'm still unaware as to how much. The biggest thing, is I've learned to ignore people who find something wrong in everything or who get caught up in drama. It's pointless to live life like that. There is absolutely no way how that can help you or benefit you. I've always had opinions like this, but not as strong. I would be okay with it because it was what was normal. My host dad once told me that the Costa Rican lifestyle consists of three things. Sleeping, eating, and conversing. Conversing meaning going to a friends house and sitting there having a conversation, or having others at your house, or understanding that it is okay, good even, to let go a little and laugh things off. I rarely saw my host family mad and if I did, within 5 minutes they were all laughing and forgetting about it. Not worrying. People say that they learn to not like the United States after they have an experience like mine, which I can now understand. I have always thought of it as my home, and I was proud of it, actually. I still am proud to be from the United States..although I realize that there is so much more to learn from other countries that there is no reason to ever spend your entire life doing the same thing, speaking the same language, or even dancing to the same song. I realize that I'm ranting right now a little bit, and I hope you all don't get bored with this. In my time back I have had so many things going on in my head, that I honestly don't even know where to start. I think about Vermont, about Costa Rica, and about my new life in Tennessee. I can't help but think of the past, present, and future all at the same time.

Well, I am about to go to the movies with a few friends from school so I'll stop ranting. Who knows if I will ever update this again, I just thought I would let people in on how things are going for me right now. To say the least, things are looking up. Costa Rica will be with me forever, and I look forward to every adventure I have after this!

PURA VIDA

Tieta Keetle

1 comment:

  1. Keep ranting! I could never imagine never going "home",but if there is anyone, I know you could make the best of the transition. You always have a home in Vermont, forever. I still have so much more time here in Chile. But never forget about your time in Costa Rica. You fell in love with a country, their people and culture. If anything you should share with others everything that you learned there! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete