Tuesday, October 23, 2012

La Peninsula de Osa and Playa Hermosa

The weekend before last I went on a four day trip with AFS and other exchange students to La Peninsula De Osa and Corcovado National Park. I spent the night in San Jose that Friday in a hotel that AFS is connected too, and immediately I knew it was going to be a fun trip! It was amazing to be able to hang out with other kids from the US and also converse with kids from other countries! We woke up Saturday at 4:15 in the morning to start our trip to the peninsula.We had breakfast at an adorable cafe in Jaco with a slight view of the beach, and even at 6 in the morning, we were all dying to go and feel the water! On our way to the peninsula, we stopped at a National park that was filled with rocks..it was extremely hot that day so that made it hard to pay full attention to the spanish speaking guide we had. We then made our way to the place where we got on our small boats to continue our way to paradise. You could feel the excitement on our boat as everyone tried to figure out the plan for when we arrived and as we tried to picture the place we would be staying at. That excitement increased as we passed the calm waters and made our way to the ocean where the waves were big and the salt was flying through our hair.
     When we arrived to the beach, the first thing we noticed was the turqouise colored water and the palm trees that reminded us we weren't in the US anymore. It was about a 10 minute hike up to the hostel and everyone was just trying to make it there without falling over from the heat. When we made it to the top, each and every student was awe-struck by the view of the ocean and the cute cabins we would soon be placed in. We quickly ate lunch, then my friends and I headed for the beach as quick as possible! I felt like a kid again, since each free second we had, we spent at the beach and would not leave until a volunteer had to come down and make us get out.
     The next day, we were split up into two groups. My group spent the day at Corcovado National Park. Here, there were a lot of animals, insects, and birds for us to see! As much as I do seem to enjoy the rain here, it was unfortunate for that day because not as many animals were out. Although we were still able to see some, and enjoy coconuts, and even swim under waterfalls in the jungle part of the park! After having lunch (I had peanut butter for the first time in over three months) and hanging out at a beach more and going to a waterfall, we made our way back to the hotel to once again enjoy a nice afternoon at the beach!
    Monday, my group got to go to an island about 30 minutes off of the peninsula to go snorkeling! We saw sharks, lots of fish, a couple sea turtles, a lot of dolphins, and even a whale and a baby calf!! We then went to a different beach to have lunch and swim, then head back to the peninsula. Of course, my friends and I headed right for the beach again, and that day the waves had been huge! Although, there were mini jellyfish in the water that continued to sting us..it was worth it! My friends and I were laughing because it seemed to only be kids from the United States getting stung and a few others who liked to hang out with us..just a wierd coincedince! Anyways, the beach and hotel was absolutely paradise..did I mention there were a lot of monkeys at our beach too?! That was pretty amazing! And it was great to get a break from the stresses I experience on a daily basis here while continuously improving my spanish and communicating only in spanish with my Tico friends.

Now, onto last weekend! There was a trip with AFS Naranjo to Playa Hermosa (a beach) to look for turtles! We left early saturday with volunteers, other exchangers in Naranjo, and host family members(one of my sisters came with me!) We stopped in the center of Jaco to look around and walk on the beach; I have decided I am in love with Jaco. It is a really cool, gorgeous town with extremely nice people! It is also very touristy, which might explain why it is so nice and also pretty expensive. After hanging out in town, we got back on the bus to head for the beach we would be camping out at (tents and everything). We went to pick up trash on the beach and my group had the opportunity to help baby turtles get to the ocean! After that, we mostly hung out on the beach (although we weren't allowed to swim) and were told what groups we would be in that night. I was in the group that would be heading out at 2 in the morning to walk on the beach and look for turtles. Unfortunately, my group stayed up all night and we didn't even get to see any even though we walked on the beach from 2 to 5 in the morning, then immediately had to start packing up to head out. Although I would still say it was fun, and a good chance to talk to people in my community.

Other than that, I have been going to school, becoming closer with people at school and in my family, and completely enjoying life. More than half way through my time here, and the struggles of wanting to be in two places at once are already getting to me, as I know that is what I will be feeling when I have to leave my life here.

Just something that made me feel pretty good about myself...the leader of AFS Naranjo told me I speak a lot of Spanish and seem to understand a lot!! After hearing this, I have noticed that I pretty much understand everything my family says and people in AFS, and even alot more in school! So, I still have a ways to go as far as speaking fluently, but it is good to know that I am making progress! :)

 One of the many monkeys on the beach we stayed at for the trip to the Peninsula De Osa!

 Me and some other kids from the US! Honestly, they have become yet another family to me

 Me and some other exchange students, volunteers, and a host sister of a friend!

 Snorkeling with Abby and Ryan!



Tieta Keetle

No comments:

Post a Comment