Monday, July 23, 2012

Meeting the Family

Hola!

Yesterday I met my host family! They are all extremely funny, nice, and outgoing. I love them! The only problem, is I have no idea what they are saying when they talk to me. It is very stressful and I can see how it is easy for exchange students to just lock themselves in their room because of how difficult it is to communitcate. Although, I will try my hardest to not do that! (I dont even have a door to my room so that will make it easier) It is also very easy to notice how close each family is. Basically everyone in the neighborhood either has a connection to my host dad, or my host mom.

My host dad is very helpful! Even though I can not understand him when he talks, he taught me plenty of new words yesterday! Such as scissors (tijeras), cup (baso), and many others! It is really nice to know that they want to help me and make me feel at home here!

The landscape in Naranjo is absolutely gorgeous and I really enjoy the simplicity of everything. The houses are all very small, they dry their clothes on lines outside and people are always around the house visiting with eachother. I met a large part of their family within the first couple minutes of being here! Also, there are lots of dogs running around. Lots!

So, if you are wondering how I am doing mentally, I am not even sure myself. I am extremely happy to be here and learn about their culture, but it is really hard to keep laughing at myself when I make mistakes. I miss everyone back home, and since I have only been here about a day, I still have to learn their cultural norms. Such as, last night when family left, my host cousin leaned in to kiss me on the cheek and I was so confused as to what he was doing! I just stood there and so he leaned in more and kissed me on the cheek and said adios. I was extremely embarressed, but I think he understood.

Well, wish me luck for my second day! Hopefully I will get to see more of Costa Rica!

Adios!

Tieta

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tieta!

    I'm glad you like your family. And your Spanish will come ... you just need to be diligent with your learning of the language. And their cultural customs will become second nature to you eventually.

    Good luck! We think of you all the time.

    Love, Dad.

    ReplyDelete