Thursday, November 29, 2012

Message for Exchangers

I said I would try to update my blog about once a week, but this week I don't have much to say. Last weekend I had a great time with others from the US in Jaco, although I am now suffering from some pretty bad burns. (I swear I used a lot of sunscreen) so, I will write a post with a little advice about exchanges.

Exchangers in General:

  • No matter how much you don't believe it, time slips away from you in the blink of an eye.
  • Be prepared to spend a lot of money. And by a lot..I mean a lot!
  • When you are in your host country, do anything you can to observe how your host culture is. Observe what is important to them, observe their general way of life. You can learn a lot from any person you meet, and chances are, ideas in your host country will be different than yours.
  • No matter what, it will be hard. But that's what makes it worth it. You know that you aren't just on a vacation whether you are sitting on the beach everyday, or living in a country that doesn't have the ability to flush toilet paper down the toilet. (Both of these are true to Costa Rica..at least the toilet paper part)
  • Travel and experience your host country as much as possible. Chances are, each place will be a little different.
  • Even though you will be on a budget, try to say yes to every opportunity that comes your way. 
Exchangers in Costa Rica:
  • Don't expect to be placed in an extremely hot climate! Although it's possible, there are also parts of Costa Rica that get pretty cold at times.
  • Take in, and live the expression Pura Vida.
  • Ticos are very laid back and generally spend their free time with the family.
  • Bus rides are a workout if you don't want to hit the person sitting next to you. (At least mine from my house to the center is extremely bumpy and a little scary at times since we live on a pretty steep hill)
  • I'm still not sure if the drivers here are really talented, or just really lucky. Everyone drives crazy, but I have yet to see a car accident (except a motorcycle accident)
  • Ticos are generally protective of their kids, especially with the girls. If you are placed in a traditional family unfamiliar with different cultures, it's likely you won't be able to travel very much with your friends or go to the beach by yourselves.
  • Ticos are very touchy. It's hard to tell who are couples, and who are just friends! It's normal to be sitting in class and have someone start playing with your hair, even if you don't know the person.
  • I've found that people either really like to talk to you because you are from the US, or they don't want to talk to you because you're from the US. We don't exactly come with the best reputation.
  • Ticos are generally really nice, but in my time here, it has become appparent that when you meet someone, they are extremely welcoming, but secretly judging you inside. I don't mean this in a bad way, they just notice the small things very easily!
  • They also love to gossip and will believe anything you tell them!
  • The guys are openly express their feelings to you while you are walking down the street. It's just something to get used to and it's best not to respond to it.
  • Dancing is BIG here. And VERY different from the US!
  • Taxi drivers have become my new favorite people to talk too! I have been lucky to normally get funny ones and it's a great way to practice my spanish! haha although it isn't as fun when you get one who tries to rip you off, which is pretty common as well.
  • Religion is a big part of the culture. Most people are catholic, and religion is not something that is separated from public schools and meetings that I have with the rest of Naranjo.
So, I think I will stop there for now. If I think of more, I will add to it! But right now I feel like this is a good start! Tomorrow I'm off to a supposedly gorgeous beach called Punta Leona with the rest of the kids leaving in January, so I'm excited for that even though it means I am truly leaving soon!

I will be sure to update after that and before I leave for Panama with AFS!!

Until then, hasta luego! (see you later!)

Tieta

No comments:

Post a Comment